Nike+ is one of my favorite running buddies. I’ve mentioned it before, but it’s time I give it the credit it deserves. Nike+, I ♥ you.
Product Review: Nike+ Running
What is Nike+? It’s a way to track your runs through your iPod Nano, iTouch/iPhone App, SportBand or SportWatch GPS. It started out with a sensor you could place in your Nike+ shoes – and you can still do that with the SportBand. Now, there’s an accelerometer in iPod Nano’s that tracks your steps, and of course GPS can track via the App or SportWatch. These devices track your runs (distance, pace, route), then sync them to the Nike+ website. No more tracking runs in notebooks – it’s all online now! Personally, I use the Nike+ iPhone App, though I might explore other options for summer so I don’t have to carry my phone!
Here are some of the things I love about it:
- You can run with OR without music: I’ve always got the app tracking my runs, even when I’m with a group.
- You can share your runs socially: I have it synced to Twitter, so my runs are automatically tweeted to my account. I love the feedback and encouragement I get! I found that syncing to Facebook was too much. And, there’s a community within the website, so you can create challenges with fellow runners.
- Tracking your running means you can compare year over year stats. For instance, here’s a screen shot of my 2011 Year In Review
- Coaching: You can find a training plan based on the distance you want to run. Then, you type in your race date, and Nike+ sets up a training schedule for you.
- I love looking back at past race times. You can see your time and pace, but also calories burned and your mile splits.
Recently, Nike made updates to the site, making it run 25% faster. I haven’t noticed a huge change. A few issues I’ve experienced include:
- The distances aren’t spot-on, but they’re close.
- I accidentally end runs all the time – it’s frustrating to have to start over mid-run!
- I hate not being able to get to the full site from my iPhone or iPad. Since the site is built with Flash, I can’t get to what I want, and sometimes I want more information than the apps or mobile site provide!
When I saw the announcement of the Nike+ FuelBand, I had hoped it would somehow connect with Nike+ running, or at least cause them to update the site.
Nike+ Running Update Coming this Summer
All this sounds great, right? But Nike is making updates this summer to make it even better – as they say, making the site “not only faster, but also smarter and more motivational.” Here are a few highlights:
- HTML5 will replace the current flash interface, making it faster. It’ll also allow it to work better on mobile devices/iPads.
- Personalization based on your running activity will allow Nike+ Running to suggest routes, training tips and goals.
- Easier social sharing (?) – I’m not sure how, but since this is one thing I already love about Nike+, I look forward to more functionality!
- More motivation with enhanced goal setting, leaderboards, and incorporation of NikeFuel (compare your activity with anyone, whatever sport they play). This speaks to incorporating with activities on the Nike+ Fuelband… which is something I’d love! I’m trying to do more cross-training, which I’d love ‘credit’ for.
Here’s the screen shot they shared in the announcement. What do you think?
Do you use Nike+? Add me – I’m ‘brandigirl’. It’s a fun way to track your runs and hold yourself accountable. 26.2, here I come! #makeitcount